Saturday 16 June 2012

Boundaries and Qualities

I attend a workshop called 'Wellness in the Workplace' and one of the things we do is draw pictures and share them with the group.

Feb 16
Boundaries
Boundaries
I can't remember what this picture means so I want to write what the others mean before I forget.

The left hand side of each picture always represents how things are currently and the right hand side how I want them to be.  Presumably I wanted my boundaries to be more consistent.

May 17
Qualities needed for a chosen job

Before drawing the picture we discussed what would be needed for our chosen job.  I chose Child Care as my job and we came up with the following personal qualities (left column) and other prerequisites (right column).  I had to circle the qualities I wanted to work on then draw them.


Authority & Patience
The picture on the left represents my current authority and patience - qualities I don't have at their best yet.  The picture on the right shows how I want my authority and patience to be.  The coloured outline appears around the people who are misbehaving - there is only one coloured outline on the right.

Although I haven't worked in child care, my experience of looking after my nephews, performing puppet shows in primary schools and leading children and youth in scouting has shown me that I need to show more authority. 

Qualities I don't have at their best yet


I am on the left.  The child is on the right.  In response to them mucking around I have joined in as though I am their friend.


The child is still mucking around but I want them to behave.  I don't feel like I can tell them to behave when I've become friends with them.


The child's behaviour has become increasingly worse.  I don't feel like I can tell them to behave because I'm scared of them.


Qualities as I want them to be


I am on the left.  The child is on the right.  In response to them mucking around I have told them that their behaviour is inappropriate.


I am able to talk with the child because they understand that I am not a friend who mucks around with them but someone they respect.  I am there to listen to them and support them.


The child and I are able to responsibly have fun.

I'm not entirely sure where patience fitted in but it could be that if I am patient in earning the respect of the child, I will be able to show authority.



1 comment: