Wednesday 6 June 2012

The Tree of Life - Session 2

Wonga Beach, QLD
The Tree of Life - Session 2 

We put our individual Trees of Life together to make a Forest of Life.  
I like analogies and visualising stuff so I found it pretty exciting.  

I imagined my birds (my gifts to others) flying around the forest teaching people, showing empathy and spreading laughter.  I could look at someone else's tree and find fruit (others' gifts to them) of laughter and think "wow, that could have come from one of my birds".  I made all these great connections and was quite exhilarated by it all.  The trees made it so easy to understand. 

The funny thing is that when I was studying Anatomy and Physiology at Flinders Uni I wrote some really dreadful assignments.  Isn't that hilarious?  No, the funny thing is that my lecturer wrote "Can't see the forest for the trees." because I would write paragraph after paragraph of detailed analysis about how some process works in particular cells but I would have no idea how it affected the person in the case study.

Similarly, when I was in primary school we were told to draw a picture of trees and I started by drawing individual leaves of a tree.  When everyone else had finished several trees I was still drawing the little leaves of one tree.  I love that I literally couldn't draw a forest because I was stuck drawing the leaves of one tree.

I think there's another major example of me being blind to the big picture because I was too bogged down in detail but I can't think of it right now.  With the Forest of Life I was able to focus on individual people and also see all people as a community and appreciate the wonderful interactions we have with each other.

 Also in this session we chose someone important to us and drew a picture or wrote them a letter.  I illustrated my Grandma's generosity by drawing stick figures of all the things she does to care for me.  We discussed our letters and drawings in pairs or small groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment