Wednesday 6 June 2012

Attention to detail is not OCD

I recently attempted to make a point and was misunderstood.  That never happens.

A friend posted something on facebook that I found quite amusing because I could identify with it.  I also found it quite offensive because I reckon it's completely misguided.

19 Things That Will Drive Your OCD Self Insane


My Comment:
"Just because some of us like things completed neatly and properly doesn't mean we are obsessive. It doesn't mean we have OCD selves, nor does it mean we have OCD or are suffering from an illness. It certainly does not indicate that we are OCD. It's like saying that your friend who has an itchy foot is CBL (Chronic Broken Leg).

If people are going to label attention to detail and a strong desire to put things right as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, why not label those who don't care with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? Surely a lack of care for things being well ordered and completed indicates laziness if an abundance of care means obsession.


Please discuss."

Response to my comment:
"It means you may have OCD tendancies :D "

WHAT?!  Now someone is diagnosing me with a predilection for a disorder that I've just said has nothing to do with me disliking chaos?

In the responses below the actual post I could only find one person who understood where I was coming from.  Thank you sarahn14 who wrote:
"You don't have OCD if you like things orderly. Perfectionism isn't OCD. You're never “so OCD” about something. Either you have the entire package or you don't. Stop making a serious illness an explanation for your quarks, oddities, and/or perfectionism."
 Honestly!  Some people like order and others couldn't care less.  Can we all stop saying that organised people have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?

No comments:

Post a Comment